What's in My Medical School Backpack
What's in My Medical School Backpack
As a medical student, you're constantly on the go, balancing lectures, studying , shadowing, and research . Having the right tools is essential for success. So what essentials do I carry?
Backpack
I like this backpack because I can fit so much in it. I love the two wide side holders, The large main pocket as well as the two protected pockets that fit both my laptop and iPad.
1. Textbooks and Notebooks and Electronics
Although I love physical books and notebooks, I find that the best for me during class is an iPad and laptop. On my computer and iPad I keep all my important textbooks and notes. Although I do miss using physical books, I generally don't bring them to class.
Laptop
I picked a slightly larger laptop than I had previously because I wanted a larger screen. I also liked how this computer has a slide cover for the camera. It's great for the zoom lectures, and quickly covering the camera when I need it.
The only problem I have had with it so far was that it was overheating. I have a cooling pad for the iPad, I share that in another post about my at home study essentials.
iPad
I have the iPad air(256GB) and I think its wonderful. I feel like having an iPad is key for medical school because you can have all your notes and textbooks in one. It's great to have another screen along with your laptop. The apps that I use the most for medical school are goodnotes and OneNote. I like that goodnotes has a good organizational system, however, I think OneNote is better for storing and soring through lectures.
Apple Pencil
I use the second generation apple pencil. When I was buying the apple pencil I bought it as a open box, so it was a bit cheaper. Open box I believe have all the same warranty so it was a good deal for me.
USB Mouse
I originally was not going to buy this USB mouse, but my SO convinced me that it can sometimes be easier. He was right.
Portable Keyboard
I bought this portable keyboard for my iPad. For when I want to type notes, or in case my laptop dies and I want to take non-handwriting notes
iWalk portable charger
Honestly a life saver. My phone always tends to run out of battery during long days, so I like to keep this handy. I know they used to make ones for iPhone, but I don't know
8BitDo
AirPods (2nd Generation)
JBL Vibe Beam True Wireless
2. Stationery Supplies
I love keeping my backpack stocked with stationary supplies to use when they come in handy. besides pencils and pens, I always like carrying highlighters and expo markers.
Little Notebook
I use little notepads to right notes here and there for things that are important, but I don't want to take my iPad or computer. I always like to have some pen and paper handy in case both of my electronic note devices die during class.
Pencil Case
I have used this pencil case since high school. I like how there is a little pocket to protect my USB. Although I don't use pen and paper much anymore, you never know when you will need it.
Pilot Pens
I really like these pens, I feel like the right really smooth and I love the colors that they come in.
Pencils
I have one mechanical pencil just in case, with extra led and an eraser.
USB
Any USB is good, just don't loose it.
Texas Instruments TI 30XS
Always good to have a calculator handy. Have been using this since early high school.
3. Medical Equipment
While you may not need a stethoscope every day, having them readily available for clinical skills sessions or volunteer opportunities is essential. Invest in high-quality medical equipment that will serve you well throughout your training and future practice. In addition to a stethoscope I also carry a pen light, reflex hammer, a neuro pinwheel, and a Babinski buck hammer.
Stethoscope Hardcase
I actually really like this. I like how this can protect my stethoscope, so I also don't need to carry around the case it came in. It also has slots for other medical instruments.
Stethoscopes
A must for medical students learning to hear normal vs abnormal pathologies.
Ring Necklace Holder
I really like having this for anatomy. I am always worried that my rings with puncture through the gloves, so I like to keep this in my stethoscope hardcase so I have it when I need it.
Pen light
Reflex hammer
Neuro pinwheel
Babinski buck hammer
4. Snacks and Water Bottle
Lectures can be long. In order to keep yourself energized its important to have food and water with you. I love having my 36 oz Brita water bottle with me. I like that it can hold a lot of water so I don't miss class having to fill it up multiple times a day. I always like to have nuts, a granola bar, or some sort of snacks with me to keep me sharp and focused.
Brita Water bottle
5. Planner or Calendar
Staying organized is key to success in medical school. A planner or calendar allows you to map out deadlines, commitments, and study sessions, helping you effectively manage your time and avoid last-minute cramming. Choose a system that works best for you, whether it's a traditional paper planner or a digital calendar app.
I use a bit of both. I have a digital planner on my iPad that I made!
3 Year mini Calendar
Although I have a digital calendar, it's nice to have a physical one with important dates written so I don't forget.
8. Other Items
Some other items that I bring with me that don't really fit in a category.
Badge
I bought plastic badge holders, but they all very easily tore. I love this Badge, It has a see-through window for my ID as well as extra pockets if you have extra school cards. It also has a pouch that I like to keep my cafeteria tickets in.
Retractable badge Reels
I bought these because I thought they were cute!
Don't forget to include include comfort items in your medical school backpack to alleviate stress and promote well-being. Whether it's a stress ball, a favorite book, or a pair of noise-canceling headphones, having something that brings you comfort during moments of pressure can make all the difference in maintaining your mental health throughout your medical education journey.
Badge
I bought plastic badge holders, but they all very easily tore. I love this Badge, It has a see-through window for my ID as well as extra pockets if you have extra school cards. It also has a pouch that I like to keep my cafeteria tickets in.
Retractable badge Reels
I bought these because I thought they were cute!
Don't forget to include include comfort items in your medical school backpack to alleviate stress and promote well-being. Whether it's a stress ball, a favorite book, or a pair of noise-canceling headphones, having something that brings you comfort during moments of pressure can make all the difference in maintaining your mental health throughout your medical education journey.
Purse/wallet, Advil, perfume, woman supplies, compact mirror, Berts bees ChapStick
9. Comfort Items
Lastly its important to have items that make you feel like you. The days can be long and having something that helps you winddown is important. For me these items look like a fidget toy, sweater, kindle, and ear plugs.
A well-stocked backpack is a medical student's best companion. Ensuring you have the essentials , you'll be well-equipped to tackle the challenges of medical school with confidence and resilience. So pack your backpack thoughtfully.
A well-stocked backpack is a medical student's best companion. Ensuring you have the essentials , you'll be well-equipped to tackle the challenges of medical school with confidence and resilience. So pack your backpack thoughtfully.
Comments
Post a Comment