The Ultimate Balanced Life



The Ultimate Balanced Life


Okay, I admit the article title is a bit of of a click baity because there is no ultimate balanced life. I truly believe that a balanced life is one that is able to handle changes and the ebbs and flows of life. Unfortunately just when you think life is balanced it will find a way to throw you off.

Remember, there isn’t a one-size-fits-all approach to finding balance. What works for one person might not work for another. However, tools like organization, optimism, confidence, and learning when to say no can make a big difference. These strategies serve as a guide to help you find what works best for you. 

Finding Balance Between School and Extra Activities: A Guide for Students

Balancing school and extracurricular activities is something most students face at one point or another.(or it can be an every day struggle) While school is important, it's crucial to find a balance between academics and other commitments, such as clubs, sports, or hobbies. Doing so not only helps you maintain good grades but also allows you to enjoy personal interests and recharge mentally.

Why is this important. I think as a student sometimes all we think about is school, especially when I was a pre-med. School, school, and more school. ITS NOT EVEYTHING. I wish I understood this. You are a human not simply your grades or a number on a page. You are so much more than that.




Balance Through Organization, Optimism, and Confidence



Striking this balance goes hand in hand with being organized, optimistic, and confident in your abilities. When you have a lot on your plate, it can feel overwhelming. But with the right mindset and tools, you can tackle everything without burning out. Staying organized allows you to manage your time effectively, while a positive outlook and confidence keep you motivated to succeed.

Learning to Say No and Step Back

One key aspect of finding balance is knowing when to say no and when to step back. You can't do everything all the time, and that's okay. One of my favorite phrases is you can do anything, but not everything. 

It’s important to assess your priorities and focus on what matters most. Overcommitting can lead to stress, and stepping back from some activities when needed is a smart way to ensure you're not spreading yourself too thin.

I like to think of  the day like a 24 hour clock. We need time to not only get the commitments done, but also eating, sleeping, studying, exercising, hobbies. 24 hours is a lot, but also not a lot of time. Spend it wisely. 

My Club Experience: A Lifeline of Scheduling

During my time in AED(a pre-health coed fraternity), I experienced firsthand how crucial it is to balance school with extracurriculars.  The first year in AED at my University is a lot of work. Every event was meaningful and exciting, but it was a huge time commitment. Balancing that and my studies was exhausting, but it taught me a lot of about responsibility and being on top of my to-do list. 

My schedule became my lifeline. By mapping out everything and keeping a clear plan, I was able to stay on top of both schoolwork and my club commitments.

Block Scheduling Example:(not my own, but I like this example)



Be Realistic and Allow Buffer Time

When creating your schedule, being realistic is key.(Though I find this is the hardest thing) Expecting to finish every task or attend every activity without room for flexibility can lead to frustration. It's essential to allow buffer time between tasks and commitments. For example add 30 minutes to 1 hour to tasks that way you give your self some buffer space in case certain tasks take longer to do. 

Some days will be busier than others, and that's perfectly normal. Giving yourself that extra cushion helps you avoid unnecessary stress and leaves room for unforeseen circumstances.

Prep Meals and Snacks for Energy

Another important aspect of staying balanced is maintaining your energy levels. If breakfast is hard to manage with a busy schedule, consider prepping meals in advance. Having healthy snacks on hand throughout the day can also help keep you fueled, especially during those busier days when you might not have time for a full meal.( Will be doing another blog on healthy meals/snacks in the future.)

End-of-Day Check-Ins

At the end of each day, it's a good idea to do a quick check-in with yourself. Reflect on what went well and what you can improve on for the next day. It helps you stay accountable and allows you to make adjustments to your schedule or routine if necessary.

Here is one of the planner pages I made for myself where I like to do a morning and an evening check in just to reflect and see where I am and how am I am doing.



Remember, some weeks will be more demanding than others. It’s all part of the process. With the right mindset and strategies, you can find balance and succeed in both your academic and extracurricular pursuits. You’ve got this!


Comments

Popular Posts